Idioms and Phrases
-: Important Idioms and Phrases for Board Exam :-
1. All in all ( सर्वेसर्वा)
Use. The principal is all in all in the college.
2. At sixes and sevens (अव्यवस्थित)
Use. Your children came to my room and left all my books at sixes and sevens.
3. An apple of discord (झगड़े की जड़)
Use. Kashmir is an apple of discord between India and Pakistan.
4. A bone of contention (झगड़े की जड़ जड़ की)
Use. Kashmir is a bone of contention between India and Pakistan.
5. At daggers drawn (घोर शत्रुता)
Use. Ravi and Shyam were at daggers drawn with each other.
6. An axe to grind (अपना स्वार्थ सिद्ध करना)
Use. People do not trust those who have an axe to grind.
7. At the eleventh hour (अंतिम समय पर)
Use. If you begin your studies at the eleventh hour, you can not be sure to pass.
8. At a stone’s throw (पास)
Use. Your uncle lives at a stone’s throw from my house.
9. A bed of roses (फूलों की सेज)
Use. Life is not a bed of roses.
10. Bag and baggage (बिस्तर बोरिये के साथ)
Use. The English left India bag and baggage in 1947.
11. Beat about the bush (घुमा फिरा कर किसी बात पर आना)
Use. Come to the main point, do not beat about the bush.
12. By hook or by crook (उचित या अनुचित तरीके से)
Use. Ravi wants to get success in the examination by hook or by crook.
13. Break the ice (मौन का वातावरण तोड़ना)
Use. When all were silent for a long time Ravi decided to break the ice.
14. By leaps and bounds (दिन दूनी रात चौगुनी)
Use. India is making progress by leaps and bounds.
15. Bury the hatchet (पुरानी शत्रुता भुला देना)
Use. It is wise for Ramesh and Hari to bury the hatchet and be friends again.
16. Bring to book (सजा देना)
Use. The naughty boy was brought to book by the Principal.
17. Black sheep (बेकार का व्यक्ति)
Use. Tom is a black sheep of my family.
18. Black and white (लिखित रूप में)
Use. I can forgive you if you apologize in black and white.
19. Castles in the air (हवाई किले बनाना)
Use. Do not waste your time in building castles in the air.
20. Dark horse (अचानक अच्छा प्रदर्शन करने वाला)
Use. The student who topped the list is a dark horse.
21. Fool’s paradise (मूर्खतापूर्ण अभिलाषा)
Use. The students who think that they can pass the examination without working hard, live in a fool’s paradise.
22. Fight shy of (बचना)
Use. Ravi fights and shy of telling me his problem.
23. Get rid of (छुटकारा पाना)
Use. I want to get rid of my job.
24. Grease the palm (रिश्वत देना)
Use. If you grease the palm of the clerk, your pension will be sanctioned.
25. Hard nut to crack (कठिन कार्य)
Use. The solution of the Kashmir problem is a hard nut to crack.
26. Hue and cry (शोरगुल)
Use. They raised a hue and cry when they saw the terrorists in the house.
27. Herculean task (अत्यंत कठिन कार्य)
Use. An ascent to Mount Everest is a herculean task.
28. Out of sorts (अस्वस्थ होना)
Use. He did not go to the office because was feeling out of sorts.
29. Point blank (साफ-साफ)
Use. Your son refused point blank to help me.
30. Pocket an insult (अपमान सहन करना)
Use. Few can pocket an insult before friend.
31. Red letter day (महत्वपूर्ण दिन)
Use. The 15th August, 1947 is a red letter day in the history of India.
32. To and fro (इधर-उधर)
Use. The policeman was walking to and fro in the street at night.
33. Take to the heels (भाग जाना)
Use. The thieves had taken to the heels before the police came.
34. Wild goose chase (निष्फल प्रयास)
Use. Ravi made a wild goose chase to go to Mumbai.
35. White elephant (बहुत खर्चीला लेकिन काम महत्व की)
Use. A car is a white elephant for a middle class family.
36. Win laurels (सम्मान प्राप्त करना)
Use. Nehru won laurels in his peace efforts.
-: One Question for You :-
Qu. Open arms